- (Best Choice) - Take the MTR train and head towards Tung Chung MTR Station and leave the station by using Exit B. Then, make your way to the Bus Station and board in to Bus No.23, No.11 or 3M; if you get lucky you can ask your bus driver to alight you at Pak Kung Au bus stop.
- Another option is to start travelling from Mui Wo after taking the Ferry from Central Ferry Terminal. You need to take any bus bound for Tung Chung or the Airport and alight when you reach the highest point of the road of Pak Kung Au (near the blue lavatory and barbecue area).
- Finally, a good and reliable Taxi could cost roughly HK$60 to the starting point of Pak Kung Au.
- Difficulty: 3/5 (Strenuous Hiking)
- Distance: 4.5 km
- Duration: 2.5 Hrs
- Terrain: 60% Natural, 20% Boulder Steps, 10% Wooden Steps with mud and 10% Tarmac
- Mobile Phone Coverage: Very Good
- GPS Coverage: Great
- Pack: 20L - 25L
- Liquid Supplement: 2.5L (Summer) / 1.5 (Winter)
- Clothing: Shorts & Shirt (The whole trail is clean and clear)
- Shoes: A good pair of rubber shoes with descent spikes will do the job but it is always good to wear proper hiking shoes.
- Food: Snack/Fruit/Power Bars (any of this will do because there's some eating area when you reach Lantau Buddha.
- Extras: Hiking Pole (optional, Sunscreen/Sun Block (summer), Sunglasses (so exposed during summer), Hat (optional) and Mosquito Repellent.
|STARTING POINT at PAK KUNG AU|
A very distinctive emergency calling post at the main starting point. Please keep in mind that the starting point is next to a lavatory, barbecue area and picnic area.
|Never fear because once again the ever friendly signage along the trail will surely guide you throughout the hike.|
|In just a few meters of your hike this lovely landscape with surely put you on hold and get your attention, just be sure to appreciate its beauty and take a few souvenir photos.|
|Looking back at this point is very fascinating because if you hike during cool and clear day, a spectacular glimpses of Sunset Peak (869masl) landscape is very majestic and rewarding.|
|Just a bit higher, simply try looking back again and the scenery is surprisingly magical with its trail path and Sunset Peak from a distance.|
|LANTAU PEAK SUMMIT (934masl)|
This new version is the latest replacement from an older version that look so rotten due to the ever changing weather at the summit and in Hong Kong.
|The Trigonometric Marker at the Summit of Lantau Peak|
|If you climb the summit and the rain starts pouring heavily, then this shelter will provide a temporary protection.|
|When your done at the summit, it's now time to head downhill and the painstaking boulder stairs is what your going to face. To have a set of hiking pole helps a hiker not to put so much pressure on the knees, so having one is highly recommended.|
|TSAM CHAI AU SUMMIT (810masl)|
At this point, your route is Ngong Ping (Lantau Buddha) and would take half an hour for atleast 1 kilometer hike.
|Some benches like this one is provided to take a minute of rest and enjoy the scenery.|
To get here is to by following the route heading Po Lin Monastery.